Dust Mites

Posted on Sep 16, 2013


Dust Mites

House dust mites are not parasitic nor are they capable of biting or stinging humans. Their significance as pests is due to the powerful allergens contained in the mites, their cast skins, fecal material and secretions. Symptoms of a house dust mite allergy include stuffy or runny nose, sneezing, coughing or watery eyes. Inhalation of dust mite allergens by hypersensitive individuals can result in acute attacks of bronchial asthma, accompanied by wheezing, shortness of breath, and perhaps even death. Dust mites have a primitive gut that needs the help of fungi to process their food. Because dust mites rely on fungus to process their nutrients, if the fungus isn’t there to help process the food for the dust mites – the dust mites starve and die off. That is why antifungal technologies effectively control dust mite contamination.